Saturday 2 April 2011

The Art of Racing in the Rain


I have been reading a book over the last few months called The Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth Stein. It was a beautiful book. It was about a dog named Enzo, and the story was written from Enzo's perspective. He follows his master Denny through his wife getting sick, and legal battles with his parents-in-law. This book made me laugh, and cry, very hard. I absolutely loved it. It made me wonder if dogs really think that way, and if they can really understand you... but they just can't communicate it to you. It also made me really miss Chloe. I know have Nikki now, but it's not quite the same as Chloe. She was my baby, I raised her. I had her since she was just a little thing. I used to think that she could actually understand me, because of the way she'd respond to me.  This book made me actually wonder if it was possible. I don't want to give away the ending; however, being that it's about a dog I'm pretty sure it's obvious how it ends.. that's where I cried. I closed the book at the end and called Nikki over, and cuddled the crap out of her. It made me feel better to have her there, but it just wasn't the same.


I spent last night thinking about Chloe, and all the memories I had with her. She came to me at the perfect time. I needed her, and she became my rock. People say dogs are just pets, but she was my best friend. She loved me, and my family so much. And she became a part of my family so fast. I remember a few days before we got her, my mother and I were on the driveway with her and she was running around as fast as her little legs could go. My mom turned to me and said, 'I think we should show her to your dad'. We took her inside and before we said anything my dad saw her and said, "Welcome to the family Chloe!". She fit in immediately. We had two other dogs at that point, and they both got along with her.


The night she died, ten years later, my mom and I were getting our dressed fitted for her wedding, and my step-dad called to say Chloe hadn't been feeling well the whole day. He called her again to tell her that we should come home because Chloe was declining, fast. We left, and on the way home I had a feeling that something was really wrong. We tried calling the house a few times on the way home and there was no answer. Then I knew something was really wrong. When we got home Larry and Jesse were sitting outside on the front porch, as we pulled up I could see there were tears in their eyes. They came over and told us that Chloe was gone. My mom and I both fell to floor in tears. Once I could compose myself I went in the back and said my goodbyes to her. That was a night that I'll never ever forget.

I whole-heartedly believe she sent me Nikki because she knew how lonely I was. She came to me at a time when I was lonely, and I needed someone. And when she was gone she sent me someone to fill that void. It will never be the same with Nikki, but having Nikki does fill that void.

I love you so much, Chloe. I'll never ever forget you.




No comments:

Post a Comment